27 September 2008

The proper way to cut a birthday cake




I believe these photos are from my 27th birthday (we won't say how long ago that was). The friend holding the cake pan taught us one of her family traditions. Her father was assigned to work in Venezuela and other parts of South America, so she spent much of her childhood "south of the border." There they adopted this tradition.

We continue the tradition even today. I'll explain what you do with these photos from today's celebration of the San Diego babe's birthday.

You position the cake in front of the person.
Speaking from experience, I recommend setting the cake down on a surface.
(I've spent a few friends' birthdays horrified,
as tradition is actually to turn out the lights first and carry out the tradition by candle light
- and on many occasions, I've been the one holding the cake.)
In one sweeping motion, the birthday girl/guy screams at the top of their lungs...

...and plunges the knife into the cake as they then blow out all the candles,
of course making a wish.

Here Lizard is pointing out the amazing accuracy of the San Diego babe...
her slice, though not picked up by the camera, is perfectly down the center.
What skill!

No comments: