21 September 2008

Do chickens have twins?

As a child, I remember going to the home of our family dentist or orthodontist (can't remember which is was since they were both family friends) to pick up fresh eggs and produce. This is back when Oregonians had our large amounts of land, you know, before the Californians invaded, hehe! In my adult years I am trying to stick to fresh, natural products as well. Though I am particular and have read up on which produce is better organic and which produce has thick enough skins, etc that it doesn't really matter. I am one of those who has hopped on the brown egg band wagon. Thank goodness for Costco selling their 18 pack for a reasonable price.

My eggs of choice

Oakdell provides a good egg. Note the label...

"ALL NATURAL"

OK, so let me tell you my shock this morning when I cracked an egg and two yolks came out. I quickly cracked the second egg (thus the broken yolk) and scrambled around my house trying to find the camera. You can tell it took a while by how much the eggs are cooked. I wish the other yolk hadn't broken so you could compare the size of the yolks. You'll just have to take my word on it, they were a little smaller than half the size of the regular yolk.


I finished cooking up the eggs, put them on my toast, but just couldn't do it. I had to tear off the half with the two yolks. For some reason I have no problem eating one would-have-been chicken, but found it inhumane to eat the would-have-been twins. Maybe it's because I actually started to think about what the double yolk meant. Who knows? But this was my first experience with the double yolk, and I hope my last. I have a tad bit of understanding of the views of vegetarian and vegan folks right now. And though it won't stop me from eating my pork tamales for dinner tonight, it did at least make me stop and think...

1 comment:

Trieste said...

That is so weird...that happened to me last week too! Maybe it's something in the water/air...whatever. I did the same thing, it just seemed wrong to eat the "twins". It makes you stop and think for sure. Strange! Thanks for finding me on facebook. It's good to catch up on your blog!