08 September 2008

The first step is admitting you have a problem... right?

I love ABC Family original movies. Yes, I'll admit there have been some doozies. But hello, The Cutting Edge II, The Cutting Edge III; Bring It On IV (OK, that was a little cheesy). This weekend, they topped them all with Samurai Girl. As is customary, it played all three weekend nights. But they threw us for a loop because there were three different episodes showing: Friday - episode 1, Saturday - encore of #1 and premier of #2, Sunday - encore of #1 & #2 and premier of #3.

Here are some of my reasons for watching:

I like that I don't have to worry who I'm with when I watch these films. Daybreak wife shares my silly excitement for these films, my birthday weekend Daybreak husband was even nice enough to watch the July movie with his wife and me. (Kudos to him for controlling his commentary - we'll even admit it was probably the cheesiest of them all.) ABC Family movies appeal to many audiences.

I like that if I feel the urge to fast forward my TIVO, it's because there's a commercial break or a scene that makes me uncomfortable only due to the embarrassment I feel for the actor that's probably the daughter/son of someone and is making their debut because of connections and not skill. I'm not embarrassed by inappropriate content because I don't see it. Such a relief.
The stories can be predictable; though I've been caught off guard by a plot twists a time or two. I have been impressed by some breakthrough performances - sometimes they even feature veteran talent.

The majority of the readers of books like the Harry Potter series and the Twilight series, both written originally to an teenage or younger audience, are actually adults (yes, I'm one of those adults). I wouldn't be surprised if majority of the viewers of these movies are adults as well - after all, what 7 year old is up at 10pm for an encore showing of a movie.

I am not sure what the next movie is nor when it will premier, but I can't wait. I'll be sure to post about it so that you can set your TIVO too.

No comments: