14 December 2008

One of my traditions

Many of my friends are posting about their holiday traditions. Here's one of mine.

In my office, during the month of December, each day people sign up to bring treats. Each year I do the same thing. For those who do not know me, if you would like to know a sure sign that something is wrong with me - I never buy treats to bring to a party or event. I love to cook, and I make everything from scratch. If I bring a store bought treat - something is very wrong.

Here's the project I undertake each year for my office.

It starts with 4 batches of sugar cookie dough
(that's only half the dough)


Then I roll it out and cut out the cookies

I bake for hours
Of course, I sort out ones that cook too dark or not enough

Another few hours are spent frosting the cookies
My mother is in town for my cousin Bean's wedding
She paid for her room by helping me frost

Here they are
All done

All individually wrapped
All ready to be placed on each coworkers' desks in the morning
Just chillin' in the garage on top of my car
(not enough room in the fridge for 100 cookies)

And the fridge now...
A couple plates of cookies set aside for visiting teachees, home teachers, friends

And here's my aunts yummy recipe if you would like to try a new recipe
(note: these are soft sugar cookies)

SUGAR COOKIES

Ingredients and Instructions

1 c Butter (softened to room temperature)

3 Eggs (room temperature)

1 ½ c Sugar

2t Vanilla

1 c Sour Cream (I set it out for 2 hours before making)

-Mix well until creamy

5 ½ c Flour (more will be added when rolling, so ok if little sticky)

2t Baking Powder

1t Baking Soda

¼ t Salt (opt’l)

-Sift together in separate bowl

Add dry to wet and mix

Separate and roll dough into three balls, wrap in plastic wrap, or put in bowls.

Refrigerate (I prefer overnight, but recommend at least two hours.)

Roll dough out to desired thickness.

(About ¼” for large cookies, ½” for small.)

Cut into shapes and place on greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350

8 minutes for small cookies

10 minutes for large

(just before the edges go brown.)

Remove immediately from cookie sheet to cooling rack.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sue said...

I love home made sugar cookies but haven't made them in years! They look so good that you just inspired me to pull out the rolling pin and start baking!