15 December 2008

Of course it snows in Oregon

So, growing up in Oregon, every winter, as kids, we looked forward to the possibility of a snow day or two. The district set aside three days for snow days. If we had more, then the district would add them on to the end of the school year. I can't say I remember ever having more than three, but we did have snow days each year when school was canceled because the buses couldn't successfully navigate through my town made of hills.

Lately friends have been joking with me, saying they don't believe it snows in Oregon. Well, if you've seen the news lately, you'll know the Northwest is currently covered in snow. I asked my dad to send me some photos after yesterday's storm. Here's what he sent:

This looks to be a view out the front door

I think this is out the back porch, looking across the street

This is part of our backyard














10am vs 3pm
Here's looking out maybe the upstairs family room
Not many new tracks on the road in 5 hours

I asked my dad for a picture of the house, he replied: I didn't go outside.

His description of the activity on the street out front:
Toboggans in the street and cars spinning their tires trying to go up our 3 hills, then backing up and trying to make another run.

That's Oregon for you. They don't bring out the plows. They don't salt the roads. They do sand the roads though. That is the worst . As kids, we'd get the sleds out and run up our hill and sled down to our hearts delights, down the street and down our driveways (I grew up in a different home than the one parents now live in - we were at the bottom of the hill, on the river - now they're on top of the hills, on top of the town.) Oh, but the dread of hearing a big sand truck coming to ruin the fun.

You do hope the roads don't freeze though or you are stuck! A few years back, I flew back to Utah after Christmas just as the snow was starting to fall. The airport was then closed for a few days because of the ice on the runways.
But no one minds, Oregonians are laid back - an excuse to just kick it at home - bring it on. Check out our city's website - the city offices were closed today. All town meetings are canceled. Though my dad's coworker insists on picking up everyone who is stuck at home with his tough 4-wheel drive SUV. A law firm open no matter the weather. I'm pretty sure my dad took the toboggan out for a couple runs down the hill before going into the office today. And maybe again afterwards too.

Oh , life in a small town. I miss it!

1 comment:

Stephenson and Katie said...

ahh I just love Oregon! Stephenson's sis lives there and church was cancelled yesterday! and we got like, double the amount of snow! I think it's hilarious...