28 July 2009

Next to Normal


The Tony Awards totally sold me on this show as well. I couldn't believe the vocals in the show. And then Alice Ripley won the Best Actress in a Musical Tony. I had to go. I ended up seeing this one be myself, but who cares - it was amazing. I bought four songs of iTunes today - four that don't have swearing (again, would have been rated-R if in the movie theaters) and I've been just listening to them over and over.

Here are two of the songs put together, as performed at the Tony Awards...


SOOO GOOD. And here's one more of the son singing one of his numbers...


The only thing I'll tell you about the story line is that it is about a woman with bi-polar disorder. I'm one who doesn't actually read the backs of the movie or the sleeve of a book to know what it's about. So the show was full of surprises for me, just the way I like it. Again, a show that will/can make you cry. But it was an amazing story. The music was amazing. I'd love to see this one over and over again as well.

Oh Broadway. You've spoiled me. I've set my bar really high. The poor Broadway in Utah productions now have a lot to live up to.

No comments: