28 July 2009

Billy Elliot


So, my friends have been trying to get me to go to New York for years. Most are shocked to first hear I've never been there - digo, that I'd never been there before last week. Well, Miss Kappa Delta got me at the perfect time. She asked me if I wanted to go to New York right after I watched the Tony Awards, right after I'd watched this little fellow perform.



We are so lucky that this is who played Billy Elliot the night we went. Trent Kowalik has a long career ahead of him.

I was so excited to see this show. I knew that I needed to see it on Broadway. I can't imagine them finding such talented young men to play Billy for a touring cast. I was not disappointed. The first tears came as Trent was sort of messing around with positions and then struck a perfect attitude - and no, I am not referring to the mood of your two year old child. For those who do not dance, this is attitude.



This 14 year old held the position perfectly. It was so beautiful. From that point on, I really didn't watch anyone else on stage. His dancing was outstanding. And I just continued to get teary eyed through out the production.

I really like the music too, but won't be downloading any of it. I did not realize before seeing any shows that they are basically rated-R. Really, I don't think I've heard the F word as much in my entire lifetime as I did in the four shows I saw it. I don't really think it was necessary, and unfortunately in Billy Elliot, pretty much every song is full of swearing as well. Oh well - I would still see the show a million times over with any of the now 4 young men playing Billy Elliot (they brought in a fourth after the Tony win of the 3 original boys. I'm thinking someone may be hitting puberty soon, and a change in the voice would be the end to playing the role of Billy.)

Oh, and another shout out to David Bologna who plays Billy's best friend. He really stole every scene he was in. I wish I could find a YouTube video of his big number with the Billy I saw, but haven't had success. And I wish it was the whole number - but seriously, he should have won the best supporting actor Tony. His is an amazing little stomper.



It may have been a mistake seeing this show first, because really, you can't get any better. But, then again, what better way to start off my Broadway viewing memories?


Oh, and no understudies - that always make for an even better show.

*Sidenote*
Dad - you HAVE to take mother to New York and see this show. I think she'll cry even more than I did. And I think you'd love the show too.

No comments: