I have always had people say they "have the perfect guy for me to go out with..." Questions I've wanted to respond with:
1) Is he perfect for you or is he perfect for me?
2) Why is he perfect for me?
3) Will you please define perfect?
4) Do you really know me well enough to set me up with someone? (I can tell you right now that the answer is usually no - the most random people offer to set me up.)
So that 4th questions note sort of starts this off for me. I really do feel like, so many times, the person who says they want to set me up, there have been times when I've never even held a conversation with the individual. Why would they want me to go out with someone they know and like so well (I hope)? How do they know that I'm not some psycho-killer looking for my next prey? I am 38 and single after all. You know there has to be some major issues going on with me, right?
And I'll be honest, those dates rarely happen. I'm sure whomever the guy is that they have in mind, he asks one of more of those questions above, and being that they don't know anymore than surface level knowledge about me, the guys rightfully decline the offer.
And then there are the friends who do know me. That is when question one should be asked. Just because we are friends, that does not mean we are interested in the same type of men. So, is he perfect for me or is he perfect for you? Because there is a difference, and that difference is important.
I wrote this post almost four years ago (click on the words "this post" to open). And it still holds true. And now I'll add to it a little.
Why do you want to set single people up?
Is it because you are happily married and you want the same for me? Great, thanks. But remember, there is more to it.
Is it because you know this really great guy? And you think I am great too? Thank you for the compliment. But remember, I think peppermint ice cream is the bomb. I also LOVE fresh mozzarella cheese. They are both dairy foods, so they should go together well, right? Wrong. And just because we are both great, both single, that doesn't mean we will go together well. Look at what about us is great, will we compliment each other? We don't have to like all the same things of course (please don't set me up with myself), but we need something to build on, and so on.
Is it because we are both Mormon and single? Ask anyone , and reference the paragraph above - that is a good base, it important, but experience has shown me it is not enough.
Is it because you think I must be so sad and lonely (yes Mrs Meers, it is sad to be all alone in the world, but soy sauce will never get out that spot...hopefully, some of you get the reference)? I'm not sad. Yes, life can be lonely. I am having oral surgery next week. I wish I had a companion I could depend on to drive me there and home. To take care of me afterwards. But I have no reason to be sad, because I have close friends and family who fill that void as best they can, and in this case, a great aunt who will drive me. And I'll take care of myself afterwards. Do I wish I had someone to go to the movies with? Sure. But I have Netflix, so I still see the films - just at home. You find a way to still enjoy life. I don't have to miss out on living just because I'm single.
Thank you http://princessfrivolous.blogspot.com for having her picture... I added the caption.
I want to keep these short-esque, so I think I should end very soon. I hope you get my point. When you want to set someone up, just be certain to think about why. You don't have to think everything will be perfect, that the couple would certainly wed in the near future. Love at first sight and engagement upon the first date is

3 comments:
Maybe you are set up beecause you are an introvert (not a bad thing) and they feel like helping you meet people. Your friends know your qualities and when meet someone whom they think will be interesting to you they set you up. Take it as a complement relax and enjoy the ride.
I set a friend of Sam's up with a woman I knew well after only meeting Sam's friend once and they are ... married. Just saying, sometimes people who really care about you (the way I cared about my friend who I knew wanted to meet Mr. Right-for-her) can have the right feeling about something.
I agree Nancy, when you feel like they will get along. I had similar success when I was in college, multiple times. But some people admit after that they didn't know if we'd like each other, we were just both single. I don't need to go on dates. Dating doesn't make me feel good about myself when they are dates with people that there is just absolutely no reason to set us up beyond our marital status being the same.
Post a Comment