11 January 2014

The Effects of Encouragement



Last year, as part of my department's annual retreat, we participated in a ropes course. Of course participation was optional - but I was excited to try.  I forget sometimes that I am afraid of heights.  Which is odd since I was a gymnast and my best event was the beam.  But higher than three feet off the ground, that gets to be a bit much for me. I still give it my best effort though, and try not to show fear.  I scaled the log up to the tightrope really quickly, but then I switched over my safety rope to start the tightrope and made a mistake, I looked down.  Oops.  BIG oops.  I started walking the rope and fortunately one of my coworkers started calling out, "You can do it, you are doing great. Keep it up."  And more. She told me not to look where I was going, to just focus on the beautiful Midway horizon. She let me know when I was half way across the line, when I was 3/4 of the way there, when I was almost there and when I was approaching the stand.  It was so, so, so very helpful.  I made it in one piece. 



A few weeks ago, for a date, the guy suggested we do an activity I have only tried once, and it was a long time ago, and it was something I was a little afraid to do (it involved heights again). But, I figured I was sort of nervous for the date - he is actually a really good guy, I've gotten used to not going out with good guys. Anyways, I figured the two would cancel each other out.  I had my lesson, I got roped in, and I started to climb.  And then something happened - I paused, not knowing where to climb next, where I could go or how to reach the next spot to set my foot or hand, and then I heard this voice below me, "You can do it, you're doing great. Keep it up."  And he just kept it up.  It wasn't excessive. It wasn't condescending, because he is really good at what we were doing.  But again, it helped to ease my nerves and in the end I felt proud of what I did (despite being sore for a couple days afterwards.)

I'm always trying to encourage people and support them in what they are doing. And honestly, it feels good to receive encouragement as well, many times when least expected. 

No comments: