01 January 2014

Some Posts on Dating


Something that has been on my mind a lot lately is dating. In getting together with some friends, both married and single, there's been some discussion on dating and storytelling of dates of times past.  One friend was telling us how she just had all these dating horror stories. She started sharing some, and I thought to myself, "These are horror stories? These are better than pretty much all the dates I've gone on in the last few years..."  Phshhh I tell you. We apparently all have different ideas on what makes for a good date. 

I made a list today, of topics that I thought I would discuss in blog posts. One topic per post.  I'm not looking for sympathy; I'm not looking for encouragement. I just get asked a lot, and since I’m not a big talker or sharer, I thought I could just lay it out here (and if you want something else discussed from my view, just leave a comment and I’ll consider it – no promises). I'm actually happy with life. Does it stink not being married? It.sure.does.

It doesn’t mean I am a failure at living life though. I'm not ugly – I don’t think so at least; I keep myself in shape (note: not skinny, but fit - I eat healthy and I exercise regularly); my testimony is strong; I have a good job; I have an amazing network friends and family; I am constantly learning new things. And yes, I want more. I want to find a husband. I want to have kids. 

Every year, so that I can earn my healthy living bonus, I fill out a health assessment with results from my annual physical, and then I answer questions about lifestyle habits. Every year the questions are the same, and while my answers will vary on some, I always rank the “How satisfied are you with your life?” question as 4 out of 5.  I do know that my life is missing something.  I would love to be able to answer with a 5.  I do know that I don’t have my ideal life.  But it isn’t worth moping around or being sad and depressed all the time. It isn’t worth wallowing in self-pity. Because you shouldn’t pity me. You shouldn’t pity anyone who is single. It is an unfortunate situation in life, but isn’t a pity.

Here are some of the topics I’ll discuss over the next month or two (subject to change):
  • Why do people want to set me up?
  • Happy and single vs. miserable and married 
  • Married vs. single
  • What not to say to a girl
  • What not to admit to a girl
  • The effects of encouragement
  • Tough to open up, shy - show self. Am I fun anymore?
  • How I see myself vs. how I feel others seem to see me by who they set me up with
  • Why no to widowers
  • Feelings of “is it really worth it?”
  • Not wanting them to call again vs. wanting them to call again, but don’t...
  • Why I don't talk about people I date, dating

Every few days, another commentary should be popping up.

Enjoy

1 comment:

Nicole Hernandez said...

I'm interested to see what you write here! Who knows what the formula is for finding a husband-just confide that God has a plan for all of us!