I've been pretty lucky in that this is my fifth temple open house.
I have attended the following open houses:
And now, almost 13 years later, the Draper UT TempleThe reason it was a "special" tour is that the Open House doesn't officially begin for another week. The Church decided to try something a little different with this temple. Since it is in the Salt Lake Valley, Wednesday and Thursday we held an open house for our vendors. It was an opportunity for those who supply product for the Church to see just where/how we use their product.
When I learned of this opportunity, I knew exactly which vendor I wanted to invite (the link will take you to a story I shared of how he met his wife). This has been one of my favorite people to work with because of his positive attitude, how he treats others, and many other reasons. I've also recognized through our conversations, that he is a spiritual man. He is a Christian, and I apologize for not remembering which denomination he affiliates with. But he's just a good person. I was so excited to invite him. I learned of the open house opportunity the same day that I had a product road map review with him. When I entered the conference room that day, there were a lot more reps than is customary for this sort of meeting. I came to learn that my rep had received a (well deserved) promotion, and would no longer be representing our account. I was so upset. But I still extended the invitation to him and the two new contacts in attendance. Today, they attended. My former rep flew in, one of the other gentlemen from the meeting flew in, and my new account rep flew in. Three non-members of the Church.
The tour was set up so that first we go into the Stake Center which shares the property with the temple. The cultural hall actually lived up to it's name. It was converted into a visitors' center with pictures of other temples lining one wall, explanation of Church beliefs on one wall, pictures of Christ on one wall, and then their was, well this is a Mormon Church event, food.
So our guide met us and brought us into one of the classrooms where we watched a DVD about the Draper temple, a little history of the area, comments by local members, and testimony shared by general authorities. We lucked out a little in that President Neider (2nd Co in Young Men General Presidency) and his wife led our tour. I really enjoyed all that they shared with our group.
I watched everyone we had in our group. (We also had another group from another vendor with us.) You could see when they might have been a little confused by what was being talked about. You could see when they really related to or understood what President Neider was sharing. At times, this rep that I really wanted to come even had tears running down his cheeks.
Also, I learned that my rep had read the introductory chapters at the Book of Mormon that morning. He was so full of questions before we went through the tour, as we were walking through the temple, and then afterward. I went to lunch with the gentleman and I spent about 90 minutes answering these three non-member guests questions.
It has been a really long time since I have really been able to share the gospel with someone. Their questions were real questions. You know, not "So how many wives does your dad have?" questions. "What is a sealing?" "Do you believe in purgatory?" - I was able to really talk about the work we do in the temples, and why we do it. There were so many things. It was just such an awesome lunch.
I've been fortunate to have some memorable experiences as I've brought vendors on tours the Humanitarian Center and other Church facilities. There really are some fun/spiritual perks working for the Church. By day's end, I had four of my vendors attend tours. Today was by far the best day of tours.
I really encourage everyone to get tickets to the open house. Invite your coworkers, invite your neighbors (I know, I need to take my own advice). It won't be so calm and low key as our visit today, but I know the spirit will teach and touch those who take the time to attend.
I am already considering which vendor[s] I will invite to attend the Oquirrh Mountain open house.
Today, I am grateful for my job.
When I learned of this opportunity, I knew exactly which vendor I wanted to invite (the link will take you to a story I shared of how he met his wife). This has been one of my favorite people to work with because of his positive attitude, how he treats others, and many other reasons. I've also recognized through our conversations, that he is a spiritual man. He is a Christian, and I apologize for not remembering which denomination he affiliates with. But he's just a good person. I was so excited to invite him. I learned of the open house opportunity the same day that I had a product road map review with him. When I entered the conference room that day, there were a lot more reps than is customary for this sort of meeting. I came to learn that my rep had received a (well deserved) promotion, and would no longer be representing our account. I was so upset. But I still extended the invitation to him and the two new contacts in attendance. Today, they attended. My former rep flew in, one of the other gentlemen from the meeting flew in, and my new account rep flew in. Three non-members of the Church.
The tour was set up so that first we go into the Stake Center which shares the property with the temple. The cultural hall actually lived up to it's name. It was converted into a visitors' center with pictures of other temples lining one wall, explanation of Church beliefs on one wall, pictures of Christ on one wall, and then their was, well this is a Mormon Church event, food.
So our guide met us and brought us into one of the classrooms where we watched a DVD about the Draper temple, a little history of the area, comments by local members, and testimony shared by general authorities. We lucked out a little in that President Neider (2nd Co in Young Men General Presidency) and his wife led our tour. I really enjoyed all that they shared with our group.
I watched everyone we had in our group. (We also had another group from another vendor with us.) You could see when they might have been a little confused by what was being talked about. You could see when they really related to or understood what President Neider was sharing. At times, this rep that I really wanted to come even had tears running down his cheeks.
Also, I learned that my rep had read the introductory chapters at the Book of Mormon that morning. He was so full of questions before we went through the tour, as we were walking through the temple, and then afterward. I went to lunch with the gentleman and I spent about 90 minutes answering these three non-member guests questions.
It has been a really long time since I have really been able to share the gospel with someone. Their questions were real questions. You know, not "So how many wives does your dad have?" questions. "What is a sealing?" "Do you believe in purgatory?" - I was able to really talk about the work we do in the temples, and why we do it. There were so many things. It was just such an awesome lunch.
I've been fortunate to have some memorable experiences as I've brought vendors on tours the Humanitarian Center and other Church facilities. There really are some fun/spiritual perks working for the Church. By day's end, I had four of my vendors attend tours. Today was by far the best day of tours.
I really encourage everyone to get tickets to the open house. Invite your coworkers, invite your neighbors (I know, I need to take my own advice). It won't be so calm and low key as our visit today, but I know the spirit will teach and touch those who take the time to attend.
I am already considering which vendor[s] I will invite to attend the Oquirrh Mountain open house.
Today, I am grateful for my job.




3 comments:
Awesome! What a cool experience. Our ward was announcing that they had tickets, and now I feel extra motivated to make sure we get some.
Seriously- what a neat experience. Im so glad you blogged about that. I hope that they're able to learn even more about the church.
I'm sorry Ryan didn't offer to give you a ride home the other night. :( You shouldn't have walked in the rain!!
So lucky to have such an awesome experience. Gives me more motivation to open my mouth instead of being afraid :) I hope you're able to keep in touch with the former vendor!
Post a Comment