18 October 2008

How do you find your house?

In this day of cookie cutter neighborhoods, it can be difficult
knowing which house is the one you are looking for.
Traditionally, with homes,
you don't find the same models side by side,
builders aim for some variety along the street.
Living in a townhouse offers little variety.
Same model, just different colors;
though honestly, I don't know the color of my house.
So how do I find my driveway?

First, I look for the lamp post
directly across the street from my driveway.
Especially helpful in the evening.

Next, I look for our beautiful tree.
This is a great reference spring, summer, and fall
- when he has leaves.
He is just south of my driveway.
Look at his nice round shape.
Looks like a pretty healthy tree, eh?
That's thanks to my green thumbed neighbor Ralph.
A neighborhood original, Ralph has taken Mr Tree under his wing.
He's pruned, fertilized, provided that TLC Mr Tree needed.
Now, compare Mr Tree with the struggling saplings on our street...

This fellow has an abundance of foliage, but he hasn't grown much...

This poor sap has just grown up and up
(most common problem I see.)
He's very tall, but not too solid.
A lengthy string bean.
Much like a high school basketball player's physique.

Here's another who's height has gotten the better of him.
At least he still has his leaves.

And two more.
Look at the one one the left.
Notice his short trunk and long upper leafy area?
A swimmer's physique if you will.

Beside the trees in need of some TLC,
there is one other common theme throughout the neighborhood...

Too many of these.
Now granted, in the townhouses,
we are more of a transitory residence -
much like a singles' ward with it's high turn over.
Lots of families starting out,
who once they have a few kids, move on.
But in the last few months,
it's even more visible among the larger homes in the area.

Unfortunate!

3 comments:

Chris and Tara said...

I look for our street light, too.
I loved the picture of the nuns. Classic.

ariel said...

i'm pretty sure that twig is our tree! seriously it looks soooo sad!

Leigh said...

I always just look for the red curtains. Dead giveaway.