Here's my venting for the day (because I prefer to stay away from today's political banter). On the days I drive into work, I exit the freeway about 2 miles after entering. It's a quick drive. I only pass one on ramp before reaching my off ramp. But each morning I drive, I can't believe how impatient and upset I feel as I arrive at work. Why don't people know how to use a freeway on ramp?I found this website addressing: "How to Drive on the Freeway".
Step 1:
Accelerate gradually as you enter the freeway. Traffic is already moving at 55mph to 70mph so this isn't a time for sightseeing. The on-ramp usually gives you enough time and space to catch up with flow of traffic.
There is always sufficient time to accelerate to freeway speeds. Why do we have traffic? Because people are scared to merge onto the freeway, so they lallygag on the on ramp, and try to enter the freeway at terribly slow speeds. This morning, I had to rapidly decelerate from 70 to 30 because someone just whipped into the lane, before the merge point of their on ramp with the freeway. The car was not even close to freeway speeds.
Ugh! For those who wonder why I prefer to take the bus when I live less than 10 miles from the office, this is why. I have no patience with those around me on the roads, and it can effect my whole day. Well, not my whole day... but the first few minutes I'm at work, yes.
Please, use the length of the on ramp to speed up to at least 65 - you know, the speed limit. It is much easier to merge when you are driving the same speed as the vehicles around you.
Thank you for listening.
1 comment:
Thx for the sweet comment, do you want to come with me and kick some $*!#... HA j/k. All is well, love the blog and this post about merging. Seriously why are people so retarded when they get onto the freeway?
Post a Comment