Almost 6 years ago, the LDS Church decided to add dancers to the annual Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert. Being a dancer, I was selected to be one of those dancers. The best part of it? I got to meet the amazing woman. Don't believe me? My face appears a couple places in the performance.Let's just say I've been a fan ever since. I'm not a fan of how this little relationship came to pass, but frankly, Will got Audra to Utah, and that's all I care about this week. Since Mrs Daybreak and I have birthdays exactly a month apart, we try to do something fun to celebrate each year. When I heard about this performance, I knew it would be the perfect way for us to celebrate.
But I didn't think we'd get tickets. She is only performing for the first 2 weeks of the run. And season ticket holders got priority in making purchases. But I learned that there were tickets left for the public, so we got online and bought our seats right away.
Monday night we went. It was amazing. Will, not so amazing. Audra, left me speechless. She is so stinking talented, so incredible. She will no doubt, soon, have more than 4 Tony awards that already fill her mantle, seriously!
The reason she came to do the show is because they are doing a fundraiser for the Orem Hale Center Theater. It is TEENY and they want to either build a new one or may improvements to the existing. We paid a hefty price for our tickets. More than I paid for any of the shows I saw on Broadway last summer. But it's a fundraiser, and the cause is a worthy one. But apparently the rest of Utah doesn't feel the same. Ticket sales were poor. There were probably 20 empty seats when we went - remember, this is a teeny theater. I looked up the other performances. There was a performance that was almost completely empty. I got an email (I know the guy who is in charge of their promotions) that there would be a sale - $50 for the seats that were regularly $99. Not the seats we sat in, but I passed it along and some friends were able to get tickets. Then I got an email 2 days ago, sort of like a Broadway raffle, that any tickets not sold half hour before curtain would be sold at $25, first come, first serve. But the thought of driving to Orem to not for sure get a seat, I really would like to see it again, but I need a guaranteed seat.
Then I got today's email - $25 for any seat, 7/3, 7/5, 7/6, 7/7 and the 7/10 matinee. Are you serious???? So guess who is going again tomorrow night - front row!!!! To say I am excited is an understatement.
While I am horribly disappointed that people in Utah can't recognize this amazing opportunity at their finger tips, if I didn't live in a state with so many, I have to say it folks - cheapskates, I wouldn't be going again. But I am pretty sure Audra will never come back knowing that no one would pay to come see her.
So, if you braved my long email, and are still reading. And if you want to go, and can attend on one of those 5 days - go to: http://haletheater.org/ - click on the top right corner, "Buy Tickets Online." Once you select your tickets, if the promotion is still valid, you can enter the promotion code "25tix" and your ticket price will drop to $25.
**Update: Sorry, I learned today the promotion has ended. But let me know if you would like me to notify you if there's another promotion.**
Good times!
1 comment:
Thanks for the tip! Joe and I went last night but my parents took advantage of the promotion code and are seeing it on Weds night.
It makes me absolutely sick that we could not sell out every show here in UT. Shame on everyone who isn't taking advantage of this incredible opportunity!
And yes...I have a girl crush on Audra. For sure. She's the best.
Post a Comment