21 February 2009

I need humidity

But let me explain that statement a little. Just like I think a crick and a creek are two different things, I have a couple impressions of humidity. First, I think of leaving for my mission. Our route to Uruguay included a stop over in Miami. I remember exiting the airplane door, walking out on the tarmac and wondering why I felt so sticky and why my breathing was a little more difficult. It was my first experience with true Southern humidity. I visited family in Gainesville FL a few years later. Leaving for a morning run, I walked through the front door and was already wet. No need to run to build up a good sweat, just walk through the front door. You don't need all the tough work of a workout.

OK, OK, so that's what most people think of when they hear the word humidity.

Living in Utah, it's no secret I struggle with the dry air. I love going home. In Oregon I don't need lotion, I can breathe easier, it's a good time - oh, my hair does go curly/wavy and take twice as long to dry though (35-40 minutes if I want it straight and all the way dry - a great arm workout if nothing else.)

Even with the natural humidity of Oregon, I remember when I was sick as a kid, my folks pulled out the humidifier. I loved falling asleep to the soothing hum. I loved how my hand magically collected condensation when placing it over the humidifier. SO COOL!


With how often I've been sick this winter, I've been getting a lot of use out of my own humidifier (though it's nowhere near as cool as the one at my folks' home.) And then I realized, hmm - I could make my Utah house feel a little more like my Oregon home. Granted, the moment I step outside, I return to the dry reality of my surroundings, and I hope my electric bill doesn't go up too much. I decided to try a month with my humidifier running to see if my lungs liven up a little and my skin absorbs a little healthy moisture.

Oh, this could be nice.

No comments: