
Having friends who have worked as reporters, I know that they have stories prepared, at times, months in advance, ready for when the paper needs to fill some space.
This article was conveniently published in this weekend's paper, the weekend of General Conference.
Interestingly enough, I've had a similar discussion with my cousin Bean who served her mission in Southern Texas and worked with many undocumented families.
Tis the weekend for the media to try to make us look bad.
This attempt = unsuccessful
My thoughts in our unnecessary defense:
LDS missionaries "aggressively [reach] out" to everyone. Missionaries do not target one culture over another.
It's been much longer that "in recent years" that the Church has sent missionaries to Latin countries. I returned 10 years ago, you know, in recent years, from a mission to a Latin country. While I was there, the mission's 50 year anniversary was celebrate - which means it has been a mission for 60+ years now - not so recent in my mind.
Per the AZ Senator quoted in the article, Mormons [aren't] undermining his efforts [of cracking down on illegal immigrants] by reaching out to Latinos.
Quoting the Mesa AZ Mission President, "Our position is to invite everyone to learn more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and his plans for his children independent of national origin."
There you have it. Well said President.
Time to watch conference...
No comments:
Post a Comment