29 April 2009

My Trip Home

So, I've been kind of busy since getting back. Last Wednesday morning, bright and early, I drove down to St George to train Facility Management employees. It was really fun. I love meeting people with in person, not via conference call, etc. And mostly I love going to dine with my coworkers because it's so much easier, in a relaxed, informal setting, to get to know people. I drove home after dinner and got home a little past midnight. But couldn't sleep in because Thursday morning I flew home to Oregon. And what was one of my first views telling me I was home...

Can you name this beautiful snow covered peak?

Actually the best shot was just as we were passing, but the flight attendant was after me to put my carry on back under the seat in front of me and I was out of position for a picture. But you can kind of see it, just imagine it from the opposite angle, with the peak rising above the clouds... really cool I promise.

So my mother had surgery on her foot two weeks ago now (everything is healing great) and that's what sort of set off my last minute flight purchase. My parents also have season tickets to Broadway Across America in Portland, and they had tickets for Thursday night. Since my mother was restricted to her bed, I flew out to go to the show with my dad. And what did we see...?

Hmmm, which of my parents to I look like?
(sorry I'm not so good with the self portraits)

Starring...


Well, not really starring. Do you see his role? Teen Angel - you know, the Frankie Valli character that sings Beauty School Dropout. Yup, that was Taylor Hicks. I have to be honest folks. He was actually good. I'm not too keen on the harmonica solo at the end of the song. Though found it hilarious as the Frenchie character was snuggling up to him, the music paused, and she bragged "... I voted for you." It wasn't my favorite production just because the revival pulled in a lot of the movie stuff. Randomly a character would start singing a song that had nothing to do with the scene, but it was one of the movie favorites. I actually like the stage production, well as originally written, and would like to have seen it. But impressive singing voices from most of the supporting cast, and they all had songs to show off that talent since they added so many. So it was worth the trip.

And though Multnomah Falls will always be my favorite waterfall, this fountain across from the Keller Auditorium, ironically named the Ira Keller Fountain, is my favorite fountain - maybe because it resembles a waterfall.

I tried to find one of the pictures of me as a kid at the fountain, but don't seem to have any scanned.

A fun first day home

2 comments:

Erin said...

Looks like a great trip, I have always wanted to spend some time in Portland.

And yes, you and your Dad are for sure related. :)

Becca said...

Love the pic with you and your dad!