08 October 2009

Mean People Not Allowed


So, this may be a long post, or it may be short. I'll try for the short.

A little background: My current occupation = purchasing manager. I buy a lot of stuff. Some of that stuff includes all the technology software and hardware for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That's a lot of hardware and software, and it basically all passes through my hands. Part of my job: I question orders that come through that are not for standard product. There are a lot of people who want what's trendy, or what's the latest and greatest. Well, this is tithing money we are spending folks. And maybe I focus too much on my own widow's mite so to speak, and how many time a day my tithing dollars are wasted because people just don't seem to care around me (please pay attention to the "don't seem to care" - maybe they care and just have a different way of showing it?) I demonstrate that I care through the dedication I show to my work, to my responsibilities, to every one's mite. I question orders ALL THE TIME. I'm known for it. I would say I usually get my way - but that's not really it. I am able to show the requesters the benefit of using the standards that the Church has established for all the different needs of the users. It has nothing to do with any one's way.

The situation: At the end of last week, an order was placed on my desk. It is an order for a coworker. A coworker who at times brags in meetings about how I catch so many people trying to order items that are not standard and about my ability to reign them in. Well, apparently this cowboy is full of bull. Because the moment I questioned his order and he found out about it - he wasn't supposed to find out about it, but today when he realized what was going on - he sent a very rude, very insulting email to me, my manager, his manager, our director and a couple other people basically saying that I have no right to question his order.

I QUESTION ORDERS THE GENERAL AUTHORITIES TRY TO PLACE. And I'm permitted to do so. I think I can question his order, and the fact that my questioning it has delayed it - maybe that's because I had a sound reason for questioning it.

So I received his disturbing email just before I had my first exam of the semester tonight (a killer by the way, ugh!) But I was so bothered. But I didn't respond. I took my test. I worked on a project that is due next week. I went to my Sunday School meeting. I came home, and I responded. I let him know that he hurt my feelings. I reminded him of what I do in my job, about how I question orders all the time. That I was in no way insulting him, but I was abiding my my responsibilities - responsibilities that he has complimented in the past.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow, because I do not want to see him. But oh well, I have way too much to do. I may hide out on another floor in the building though.

I really DO NOT LIKE conflict.

I only have to put up with this for three more years. And I just keep telling myself that. (Sure hope I didn't flunk my exam or it may be longer...)

1 comment:

jamirodana said...

So, I want to know what happened after you went to work today????
:)
I'm sure you did fine on your test:) fingers crossed.