02 January 2017

Christmas Traditions 2016

Well, life has been amazingly crazy since we got married, and I'm of course, way behind on an update, but here's some of the fun we've had over the Christmas season. Lots of new traditions we've decided to share as a family. I am so crazy about my new little family, and cannot wait for all the memories we continue to make over the years to come.

1. The Nutcracker. I've been taking friends and their little girls to see Ballet West's The Nutcracker over the years. This year, it was finally my turn. And it was magical. I took #4 to get her hair done princess style, and then went to lunch and the show with her best little buds.






2. While we were at The Nutcracker, the boys were out cutting down our Christmas tree. In October we went up to Park City for the weekend so that Mr Dreamy and a brother-in-law could go wait in line, crazy early, in the crazy cold, to get permits to cut down a tree. Worth the effort (says I who stayed in our warm bed that morning my husband braved the cold.)



Best Christmas gifts I ever received lying beneath the tree

When in Savannah, summer 2015, my friends and I purchased a peach and a pickle for our trees. A tradition I share with wonderful college pals. And the white ornament was a Christmas gift from one of them, a custom ornament for our wedding made by students from the art school in Savannah. I absolutely love and will always treasure all three.

3. My in-laws have a tradition of seeing the lights on Temple Square each year. Since I work there, it's rare that I want to stick around and see the lights. But it is fun with family, so the tradition continues. And we added a little treat for our own tradition, going to dinner at Hires before seeing the lights.  
 


4.  Of course, I set up my crèches. #4 likes them too. We got a great book, The Mismatched Nativity, and accompanying nativity this year thanks to a recommendation of a friend. You should definitely look for this next winter. We read this story every night at bedtime.  

5. My aunt and uncle host a Photos with Santa event at their bakery each year for family and friends. I have avoided it in the past, but now that I have a family of my own, it was a perfect afternoon at the bakery.  



(How do you get a 14 year old to sit on Santa's lap? All it takes is a super yummy cookie.)

#4 is too entranced with Santa... the photographer seemed to miss her and didn't tell us to move over.

6. Of course, the ward Christmas party. They had a Santa this year (I didn't want a Santa when I was in charge last year...) 


7. Not a tradition, but Mr Dreamy and I attended White Christmas with my friends I have season tickets with.  

 



8. I assume it will be a tradition of sorts. #2 had a band concert, so we went to watch him perform.
9. I grew up with homemade stockings (pictured first), so of course I always planned to make them for my own family some day. 6 at once wasn't what I'd planned, but we got 'em done. I let the kids design their own (thus #3 has his James Bond style in a click suit.)

 

10. And after family night, we did a nativity with kids. Jesus wasn't happy to be in the manger... 
 
Well, there's some of what we did over December. A little more caught up I suppose. 

No comments: