14 September 2014

What I Learned From Sutton

(Picture from her Instagram)
A few weeks ago I posted this "rant" on Facebook: So, I don't want to ruin the final results of SYTYCD? But if anyone wants to have a discussion via PM or something, I'm open to it (though I'm going to bed soon, so maybe tomorrow...) Coming from a life of dance, also being a daughter of a dancer, I just haven't been so satisfied with the results many years, yes, including this one. I'm kind of almost looking for the opinions of non-dancers as to why it isn't the best dancer who wins each year (please know, I have been pleased many years - just.not.every.year)? Maybe it is because I don't watch the judges' comments? Are they swaying the vote with their comments? Or do viewers vote more for the choreography than the the performance? Admittedly, I never vote myself since I generally watch a day or two after it airs. I'm just curious. Guess I'll go sleep on it.

One friend's comment included the following: Because America isn't voting the Best Dancer they are voting their FAVORITE Dancer. This usually mean the personality/look they like more than the dancing.

I watch the show looking for the all around best dancer (not just in their specialty, but they do well with everything they are asked to do.)  I don't watch the personal get to know you segments, I don't watch the judge's comments, I solely watch the dances. I don't care what they are like as a person (probably because I've worked with really, really talented people who were complete schmutzes.)  

Last week I attended a concert at BYU by Sutton Foster. Now don't get me wrong, she's pretty darn talented. One of the reasons I appreciate her talent is because she has talentS.  She sings AND she dances.  Example...

(she starts about 30 seconds in) 

Dancers, they sort of easily win my heart. 

Back to the concert. No dancing. Just her and her musical director at the piano (he was amazing - piano playing, another quick route to my heart). And for a few numbers a friend of hers joined in.  

The audience definitely loved Sutton. It was a bit annoying actually. They wouldn't shut up. Screaming, not just applauding, screaming. I felt like I was at a University of Utah women's gymnastics meet with all the screeching little girls.  I felt embarrassed for their lack of manners at a concert.  Plus, the longer they screamed, the less we heard of her.  Also, we missed things she said.  I go to a concert not only to hear the person perform, but also to see their personality as they interact with the audience. Oh, and that is where I am going with this... personality.

Sutton Foster has a great personality.  And I've heard this for friends who have worked with her.  She is great to work with. In my opinion, she isn't the best performer out there. She has her niche though. Her voice can be a little nasally. And she did this weird thing at the concert, a tiny random scale in a number of her songs.  But don't get me wrong folks, she was great. She was perfect Sutton.  I know what to expect of her voice, I wasn't disappointed by her performance at all.  She rocked. But she's no Audra McDonald (who I've seen and worked with, she is incredible on stage in many different roles, and she's also amazing to work with).  

If Sutton Foster were on a show like So You Think You Can Dance? or American Idol, she'd probably win - not necessarily based on talent, but based on personality, likeability, etc.  

So I understand better now.  I can see why the girl stomper on SYTYCD? came in second, even though, yes, as a stomper, she rocked - other forms she was just mediocre.  But everyone loved her personality. Still not sure about the winner since, again, I didn't watch the interactions to know what people saw in him outside of dancing. 

And if you want to know who I think should have won? Zach, the guy stomper (oh, yes, you guessed it - talented tap dancer? In my heart.)  But it wasn't just because he was a tapper, he excelled at all the methods he performed. Here is a video of him and Valerie tapping.



And here he is in a fun, non-tap performance.





I'm thinking I just won't watch the final episode of SYTYCD? in the future. I always fast forward most of the show anyway since it is just repeat performances of previously performed routines.  And the best personality can keep winning and it won't affect me. Problem solved. =)

No comments: