23 December 2012

A New Holiday Tradition?

My dad and I have a tradition that he always picks me up from the airport and then we go out to eat for good seafood.  Since my flight was so delayed this year, I didn't land in time to eat at a reputable seafood restaurant, so we went to The Ram (I'm still sad they closed the Lake Oswego location).  Super yummy all the same, but it wasn't seafood.

Fast forward a couple days, my brother's family is in town now too.  Cutey Patootie someone mentions she like crab. What? The picky eater likes crab?  Gotta jump on this one.  We'd tried to get her mom and my dad to come too (also seafood lovers), but it ended up just the two of us.  At one point, my brother/her dad texted to wonder what happened to us. My reply?  Have you ever eaten crab legs before? It's not a quick eat.  Between the two of us, we de-shelled and ate 1 1/2 lbs of crab legs. I taught Cutey Patootie to use the shell cracker and her tiny fork to discover the yummy meat. 

Here are some photos of her work (sorry, they are phone photos)

Check out that concentration

Getting a better grip

Oh wait, what have I got here?

Success!

I'm a pro now!

I'm just hoping she likes crab in two years when it's time for our next OR Christmas. We'll do as my dad and I have done many times and we'll spread the newspapers out on the floor in the upstairs family room, bring up the steamed crab, and have a shell cracking party while watching, preferable sports, but for Cutey Patootie's enjoyment, it will probably end up a movie.

Now, if I can just get Italian Beauty and Mini-T to like crab and to come up to spend the holiday with their grandparents. It'd be quite a feat and a feast.

No comments: