15 October 2011

Coeur d'Alene 2011 part 2

My last day in town, my mother and I made the trek over to Pullman to visit my uncle and his family. This year he became an uncle. How cute are these pictures?

Grandpa and grandson

Playing peekaboo with grandpa

Laughing with mom and grandma

One grandma admiring another grandma's pride and joy

Cousins

And finally, I forgot to post this on part 1, but here's another funny story of sorts. We enjoy the peace and the relaxation it offers, the escape from the busyness of daily life. I may have mentioned previously that a few years ago I brought up my college TV and a DVD player so that when I am there alone, I can watch a movie at night to keep me company. Some members of the family object to it being there, but now that my mother lives up there for much of the summer now, alone - she also appreciates the company. Oh, I should interject a not funny story: Our cabin is really old. Unfortunately, someone broke into our cabin between when my parents opened it at the beginning of the season and when my aunt and uncle arrived a little while later. My understanding is that quite a mess was made. Ironically, they didn't take my 20+ year old TV nor the DVD player. What did they take? My late grandpa's fishing equipment we had on display on the wall and my uncle's fly fishing gear he kept at the cabin. Honestly, those were the most valuable items there, at least monetarily speaking - and in the case of grandpa's gear, there was definitely some emotional value as well.

Back to the funny, so the DVD player is definitely the most modern appliance - oh no wait, the water heater installed last year is the newest. The TV and a boom box both date back to the 80s. The cupboards are full of mismatched dishes. The knives could really use replacement or at least sharpening. We do cook our own food on the stove. We celebrated my mother's birthday our first Sunday there. Dinner was no problem to prepare. I had decided to make strawberry shortcake for dessert. I bought whipping cream, but forgot that we don't have an electric mixer nor blender. Below is what we do have...


Ever used one before? I got a pretty good arm work out, as did my dad. It took two of us to whip that cream into shape for our dessert. But it sure was fun.

No comments: