10 October 2011

Coeur d'Alene 2011 part 1

Another relaxing year at the cabin. The trip didn't turn out as expected due to a friend's accident earlier in the summer. I ended up going alone and with my parents instead of the Daybreak friends. Because I didn't have my camera cord, I wasn't able to transfer the photos they took with their camera, so we only have my photos this year - but that's still a lot of photos.

We spent the first day in Spokane, taking the tram ride over the falls, riding the carousel, walking through downtown.

(the water was turned off up the line for work they were doing, so it wasn't much of a view)

My parents racing with the The Joy of Running Together sculpture at Riverfront Park... oh, but wait, who's the runner in the family?

The one taking the lead of course.

And here is a picture of a "caught my eye" sign. This is inside the Davenport Hotel. If I were to get married, and I lived in Spokane - I'd definitely have a reception in one of their ballrooms. Really, the building reminds me a little of an LDS Church building. See, this is a restroom for A gentlemAn, and next door, a restroom for ladies. (For those of you who do not frequent LDS Church buildings, there is usually one smaller restroom for men, and a couple multi-stall restrooms for women.) OK, no one else gets the joke, but I chuckled seeing that this restroom is only for one man, yet next door is equipped for many women, sorry ladies.

We toured the mission located just above Lake Coeur d'Alene.


I always find it interesting learning about missionary efforts of other religions. Why they teach religions, what they consider a convert, how they treat those who do not join their church.

I read 8 books on the trip, you can find my reviews on our book blog if you want. I went on my daily runs to Higgins Point or to Tonys or around Tubbs Hill. Oh, and a story for you of realizing, I am 36, I am old. I run Tubbs Hill every year, usually 2-3 times during my trip. And each run is 1-2 times around the hill. Did you know I get lost every time? It is a hill, you just run around in a circle. But there are lots of paths, and there are no signs - I take that back, there aren't many signs. And when you are running, when I am running, when I come to a fork, I need a visible, obvious sign. I don't want to stop, analyze my position, and then decide where to go. I of course always end up back where I started. I know my way around the neighborhood for sure. But I don't know that I have ever run the same path twice. This trip was no different. I'll admit, I actually made it all the way around, going the right way, and making all the right turns. I was SOOOO excited. The next day, I thought if I run two days in a row I will remember where I went and I'll be successful again. Nope. When I got to the end, I was above the path. But I figured it was just a couple foot drop. So I thought I could hop down and just finish my run. Nope. I dropped down, and I fell down, and I rolled down the path. Luckily, there were no witnesses. I stood up, not as quickly as I would have liked, brushed my self off and ran back to my car. I guess the drop was higher than I thought, but still, I thought I could handle the drop. The only thing that went through my mind was, darn, I am getting old.

More to come...

No comments: