We've all had 'em. The moment when it all makes sense.
Background: Growing up, it seems if one of my friends, or if I, had a bad dad, our mother took us shopping. It started when we were pretty young, and just continued as we grew up. I was a kid who got pretty much anything I wanted. And I got lots of surprise gifts too. It wasn't a rough life. But in talking with friends as we got older, in talking about how parents showed their love, or how we worked through problems - we remembered gifts, lots of gifts. No talking about problems, no talking problems out, no talking - things made things better.
Fast forward: I had the chance to go shopping today. I know what you are thinking, "But you hate shopping." So true, so true. But I learned today why my mother, why the mothers of my friends, took us shopping or surprised us with gifts so often. I got to make some one's day today while shopping. I got to watch her walk down the dressing room aisle to show us what she was wearing, usually sluggishly if she didn't like it, shoulders held high if she did - and we'd discuss if it was a hit or a miss. It is really cool to know that she's excited for the great finds we made today, that she will get to show off her new duds in the halls when school starts.
It made her happy, it made me happy. Aha!
2 comments:
So is there a coralation (Sp?) between you hating shopping and all the shopping you did as a kid to avoid talking about problems? It is nice you got to make someone's day :-)
oh no, I am just a person who knows what I need to buy, so I go find it. I don't like sifting through sale racks just in case I find a killer deal on something cute (especially because I never find anything.) Plus, there are always so many people. I'm definitely not a crowd person. I would rather spend my time doing something productive. =)
Post a Comment