26 May 2010

Thurzdee

We packed a lot of fun firsts into Thursday.

First we hit the Hogle Zoo. I'd never been, nor had my dad. His aunt and uncle live a few blocks from the zoo. My grandma always claimed that she could hear the lions roaring in the mornings when she'd visit her sister. Um, I didn't see any lions at the zoo, so I'm not so sure about the truthfulness of the story, but we still had fun seeing the animals they do have.



My dad was so shocked by how many strollers there were. The double wide strollers. The strollers with kids hanging off the sides, like scooters in foreign countries.



We saw the baby elephant (I saw the hot guy who works with the elephants, good job dad getting him in the photo too)



I was a little surprised how close to the tigers' den was the sidewalk. No wonder this guy was pacing back and forth. There were so many kids around, it was unfair to the tigers, being teased with so many delicious treats just on the other side of the thin fence.



This was quite the acrobatic orangutan (he's in the background, that's my dad up front - I know confusing with them both in orange.)



My favorite conversation I happened to listen to was between two 17-ish year olds. (I emailed it to myself right away so this is actually what they said.)


Girl: This makes me so mad. Oh those monkeys are so cute. I like his name. Ugh, this makes me so mad. The monkeys should get to live in the wild.
Boy: Why did you come to the zoo then?


We hit one of my favorite local spots for lunch. My first time up since the remodel. I LOVE Ruth's Diner.

On our way down the hit, we stopped by the Olympic Cauldron. That's how long it's been since my dad came to town, he hadn't seen any of the Olympics stuff yet.



And we snuck a peak at the set up for the U2 concert... which was canceled the very next day. Hope I didn't jinx it.



Next stop, Tracy Aviary



You can't really see the enormous pelicans behind me, you'll just have to take my word on it. They were huge.



I was surprised to see eagles in areas with out netting or roofs overhead. It turns out the aviary is home to eagles who have been injured and would not survive in the wild. Kind of cool I think.



Dad looks deep in thought here. Let's guess the thought process...

Flamingos ... Florida...

Florida ... retirement...

Sorry dad, not yet. Your too young still.



Don't worry, it's even farther away for me...phst!



And we still aren't done. Next stop, the capitol building. I hadn't been since the remodel. I don't think my dad had been since dropping me off at BYU - 17 years ago.



I love that the tour takes you into this room. The tour guide talks about how people take their wedding photos in locations throughout the capitol. This room is gold-leafed everywhere, very elegant. It is the room in which they entertain political visitors and all. Oh, back to those photos, you can't use this room for them. (So why mention the photos in the first place?)



I really wondered about this gargoyle? Really? Who's idea was this?



Here's my statue since I've gone back to school.



And my dad's statue, maybe because of his love of Sci-Fi?



I couldn't see the names on the desks so don’t know whose it is, but laughed seeing this mouse pad on some one's desk in the Utah state capitol.




Really President Cleveland? Are you kidding me? You really thought that way?



At least Utah was on the ball


The Right of the citizens of the State of Utah
to vote and hold office shall not be denied
or abridged on account of sex.
Utah State Constitution 1896
Article IV, Section !
Take that Grover!
(9 years before he made his statement)


And we ended the afternoon with a quick hike up to Ensign Peak.

He made it





Maybe this was a prediction of weather to come (as in our snow storm last Monday) with crossed arms due to the chill in the air and the snow capped mountains in the background.



Then I had to go to school again, so dad spent the evening at the Family History Library. Fun day!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Holy cow, this is an action packed day! Looks like you had a ton of fun. I have to say though...has it really been 17 years since freshman year? I think I am going to start hyperventilating now.