28 April 2013

Races

Image found at: http://andreashalf-marathonjourney.blogspot.com/2010/08/talk-like-runner.html

 So, my goal for 2013 is to run a race a month, or 12 races before the end of the year.  The first two I ran in February.  I ran alone, so no photos. 

The first race of the year was just a 10k. The Hale Freezes Over race is a fundraiser for the Orem Hale Center Theater.  I guess the last few years, because of the warm winter weather in Utah, it wasn't really "frozen over". This year, it was snowy, the roads were really icy, so the organizers were having to salt our path so it was safe.  I ran outdoors all winter. I have some great winter running clothes, so it was no problem.  The race was fun.

At the end of February, I went to St George for the She Runs Half Marathon. I actually went down for the whole weekend. She Runs hosts a retreat as well as a race.  The event started Thursday night with night run in the dark where we collected glow in the dark necklaces and bracelets as we ran around and through a gold course.  We went back to the clubhouse for Zumba. It was my first Zumba class ever. Having been a dancer, I don't necessarily enjoy aerobics classes that are dance-like classes. I'm too much of a perfectionist.  And I have a hard time when other participants can't pick up the moves so we can quickly move on.  But I stood up front just to the right of the instructor. And since we were in a Golf Course clubhouse, there were no mirrors, so ,I couldn't actually see the other participants. It was perfect. I had NO idea I could still move like that (of course, my muscles reminded me in the morning that I am no longer a dancer.)  I'm not saying I'll keep going, but I enjoyed it. And I was flattered when the instructor approached me the next day and asked where I taught Zumba. 
Friday, we attended classes all day.  That evening there was a pasta load dinner - which, and I'll go more into it in another post, is the last time I've eaten gluten.  I almost met some cool people, which I'll also go into in another post. The next morning was the race.  I was SO sick after the dinner, that by the time we started the race, I had no energy.  I ran the whole race still, but I'm certain I've never run such a slow pace.  It was all I could do to keep running. But it was good to finish it.  I then got into my car and drove straight home. 

So those are the first two for 2013...

No comments: