16 April 2012

While You Were Out

Well, yes, I am super behind again. So I am going newest to oldest. So here's what happened last week through today...

My aunt takes a trip to CA with friends every Spring Break. I'd been planning to get a new washer and dryer for a while and thought it would be a good idea to have them delivered while she was gone. But then I thought maybe I'd paint the mud room too, and then, since there is a bathroom connected to the mud room, that I should paint that too. And then I did some stuff to my bathroom and my cousin's bathroom. I fixed two leaking toilets. And I eventually called in the troops (an aunt and uncle) when it because all too obvious that I wouldn't be getting everything I'd planned. A little thing became big. I spent 10 days working like crazy after work or all day on my days off - didn't get to before before midnight the whole time. But it was worth it, and here's most of the finished product.

My cousin's bathroom is still a work in progress. We did get him some shelves for the seashells, and some new towels. No painting done yet, and still need to find a cabinet for over the toilet.

Here is what we did to the wall.

And then my bathroom. I put in a cabinet over the toilet, added some shelves (but then took one down for the another bathroom) and added some metal signs and got all new towels to go with the shower curtain.




Next: to my uncle's work. We had some lights that were not working anymore. We didn't know if it was electrical issues or lighting issues. Since all the lights were the same, I thought it may be the fault of the light fixtures. So I bought some new ones and then he came down to do some replacing. I should have taken some photos of the bad lights. There were holes burned through the plastic pieces you screw the bulbs into. The plastic worn off the wires so live wires touching. Crazy! Any ways, the top one is the new light fixture that is now in the mud room, in the toy room, and the room Dot and his family used to live in. Then, where you see the lights on... MIRACULOUS!!! We now have full light in the basement. So awesome.




My aunt did some crazy dusting of the flowers and decorations atop the kitchen cupboards. It looks amazing!





Next the bathroom off the mudroom. I first painted it, and then found a great corner cabinet to add, and then thought I needed some bright decorations. I thought to buy another cabinet for over the toilet but realized I could use one of the shelves from my bathroom. And then I sewed some runners and shelf cloths. Here's the finished bathroom.







And the mudroom. The room I started with. Paint, new clothes rack (previously there was a rolling coat rack, but it took a lot of room. My objective here was to open up the room. I used one of those space maker rounded shower rods screwed into studs for strength,) tonight we assembled the new cabinet (handy wardrobe purchased from IKEA.) I sewed new curtains as well. My uncle installed a new light.



I purchased some great vinyl sayings: "Laundry: For same day service, do it yourself" and "Laundry today or naked tomorrow." I'm not a fan of putting them direct on the wall, so I painted a backdrop and some trim to make framed signs. I still need to use an uncle's table saw to corner the trim. I'll put pictures when I am done.

And, ironically, the thing I started this whole project with - you know, replacing the washer and dryer - yah, they are still on back order. So, here is what I taped onto the old washer.

(It says, "These will be here (sorry, still on backorder...)")

Fun times!

No comments: